First impressions matter. With 5.9 million searches conducted on Google every minute, writing captivating headlines is critical. If your headline is mediocre, readers will likely scroll past your article.
In this article, we will discuss how to write click-worthy headlines and how headline generator tools can help. We’ve also rounded up seven of the best headline generator options to help you get started.
Why use headline generator tools?
Whether you are a creator, marketer, or entrepreneur, you are probably used to writing headlines on your own. So why use a headline generator?
Headline generator tools save time
Headline generator tools act as a creative partner to speed up the writing process. For marketers and creators with multiple deadlines, headline generator tools free up time to focus on other tasks.
Support the brainstorming process
Brainstorming is an integral part of any writer’s process, and headlines are no exception. Most writers come up with a list of ideas before writing a headline that captures their attention. Headline generator tools provide a list of ideas to inspire or spark creativity.
Boost the impact of your headlines
It's crucial that your content ranks on Google. But a weak headline will undermine your work, resulting in less SEO relevance, lowered engagement, and next-to-zero conversions or clicks.
Headline generator tools help you break through your routine thinking patterns to write headlines that convert. By offering a list of compelling suggestions, generator tools expand your thought process and enable you to experiment with new ideas.
How do headline generators work?
Not quite confident in the idea of using software to generate headline ideas? It’s helpful to understand how they work.
The average headline generator uses simple templates which you fill in with information about your article. Then the software spits out several headline options for you. This method can be effective if you already have a few ideas.
AI writing tools use natural language processing (NLP) to analyze, comprehend, and alter human language. Unlike standard generators that follow predefined formats, AI systems aim to generate headlines in a similar style to creative writing done by humans.
How to create amazing headlines people remember
Writing headlines that resonate with your target audience takes time, creativity, and experimentation. Here are a few tips to help you generate captivating headlines.
What makes a click-worthy headline?
Click-worthy headlines appeal to your target audience, generate curiosity, and convey the article's topic.
- Your headline should be specific and clear. Readers should understand what value they will gain from reading it.
- It should be honest and avoid clickbait. Clickbait promises information that does not exist or oversensationalizes a topic. Don’t overpromise and underdeliver.
- Longer headlines perform better. Backlinko found that headlines between 14-17 words outperformed shorter headlines by 76.7% when looking at social shares. However, headlines should be limited to 50-60 characters to avoid being cut off by search engines.
- Headlines should include emotional and power words. Emotional words include superlatives and words that generally evoke positive responses. Think of adjectives like “free,” “easy,” and “instant.” Power words—like guilt-free or cringe-worthy—are punchy and also evoke emotion while stimulating curiosity.
Types of click-worthy headlines
There are several types of popular blog headlines that lean on human psychology to drive users to click.
Numbers and lists
Our brains respond favorably to numbers, particularly when written as numerals. They’re easy to grasp and organize, especially while scrolling through search engine results. Numbers are also specific, which means they build trust with audiences.
Image source: rd.com
Image source: Backcountry
How-tos and Guides
How-to headlines and guides convey a sense of authority. The format will also resonate with your audience since it answers a question they likely want to ask.
Image source: Mindbodygreen.com
Image source: Refinery29
Comparison headlines compare two or more products or services. This format tells your audience exactly what they will be learning. It also answers your audiences’ questions.
Image source: CNET
Audiences love headlines that share insider tips and tricks. With these titles, audiences expect to learn from experts.
Image source: The Sill
You can generate curiosity and make your headlines feel relatable by referencing personal experiences.
Image source: Forbes
Using words such as "ultimate" and "essential" in headlines will make your content feel exclusive and create a sense of urgency to click on the link.
Image source: The Quality Edit
Using questions in your headlines encourages curiosity. Open-ended questions (eliciting more than yes or no responses) work well.
Image source: HubSpot
How to use AI headline generators to boost headlines
AI tools should not replace the writing process altogether. Instead, they act as a creative partner to speed up time and help generate ideas.
When using AI headline generators, it’s important to remember that the quality of the input impacts the output. As a marketer or creator, you must direct the generator to ensure the suggestions resonate with your audience.
Here’s an example of using Jasper’s Perfect Headline AI generator:
Here are Jasper’s headline suggestions:
- The Holidays Are Coming: What to Avoid Feeding Your Pup This Year
- 10 Dangerous Foods to Avoid this Holiday Season
- Keep Your Furry Friend Healthy This Season
- Safe Holiday Treats for Your Dog
7 headline generator tools for headlines that hook readers
Here are seven of the best headline generator tools to help you create compelling headlines.
Jasper is more than a headline generator. It’s an AI writing assistant created with the help of expert copywriters. The tool has been fed a variety of content from 10% of the internet. As a result, Jasper does not create formulaic headlines. Instead, it knows how to sound like a human—and what audiences like to read.
Jasper generates headlines using its Perfect Headline template, one of over 52 template options. By requesting information about your target audience and intended tone, Jasper creates suggestions that appeal to readers and search engines.
Let’s assume you were writing a post about “how to write a good headline,” and your keyword was “writing headlines.”
In this template form, the “product description” is the article you’re creating, the “product name” is your keyword, and the “customer avatar” is the target audience. This template will work even while writing headlines for products and services you’re selling. If you want more options, just hit “Generate AI content” for more original output.
Here’s another batch of headline suggestions.
Some of our favorite options generated by Jasper:
- 8 Headline Writing Techniques for Converting Readers into Buyers
- 20+ Proven Headline Formulas and Examples (and How to Use Them)
- Don't Lose Customers with These 10 Deadly Headline Mistakes
- 5 Headline Writing Hacks that Will Double Your Traffic
2. Inbound Now Blog Title Idea Generator
Inbound Now’s Blog Title Idea Generator uses basic headline formulas to generate ideas. While the tool is easy to use, it does not use emotional or power words. Instead, it leaves that part up to you.
Additionally, since this is not a "thinking" tool, not every keyword will work. As you can see in the examples below, some of the suggestions had errors or weren’t specific enough.
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Writing Headlines
- See How Easily You Can Writing Headlines
- The 10 Commandments of Writing Headlines That Work
3. Kickass Headline Generator
SumoMe’s Kickass Headline Generator is another popular option for writers. The tool generates headlines based on article types—such as “how-to” or “ultimate guide” articles. If your article does not fit the options provided, the tool also offers a customizable template.
Here’s how the Kickass Headline Generator performed using the “how-to” template.
You need to fill the seven fields on the left to build your headline options—still in a formulaic pattern. The generator can help you develop ideas, but you will still need to edit quite a bit.
- The Ultimate Guide to Writing Great Headlines
- How We Increased Website Traffic in Only 2 Weeks
- The Kickass Guide to Writing Great Headlines
4. Tweak Your Biz Title Generator
This title generator by Tweak Your Biz requires little input. You enter a keyword and indicate whether it is a verb or a noun.
The tool generates suggestions for different article styles, including how-tos and lists. Here’s another example:
Here are Tweak Your Biz’s suggestions:
- 6 Easy Ways to Writing Headlines Without Even Thinking About It
- 6 Horrible Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Headlines
- 6 Enticing Tips to Writing Headlines Like Nobody Else
Since this is also a non-thinking generator, it does not adjust tenses. The suggestions will require editing.
5. Blog Title Generator by SEOPressor
Blog Title Generator by SEOPressor is a helpful tool to generate eye-catching headlines. The inputs allow you to better guide the relevance of the results. Users enter a keyword and select whether it’s a:
- Generic term
- Brand or product
- Person's name
This generator uses proven headline writing techniques, including numbers and power words that spark curiosity. While the tool was built for blog posts, you can also use its results as inspiration for your other headlines (e.g., videos and ebooks).
6. Blog Post Title Headline Generator by FATJOE
FATJOE’s headline generation tool is straightforward and user-friendly. Users enter a keyword and receive ten suggestions. You can also enter your email to receive 100 more suggestions.
FATJOE’s suggestions include:
- Why People Love to Hate Content Writers
- How to Save Money on Content Writers
- Content Writers: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
7. Free Title Generator by The HOTH
If you’re looking for more control over the types of headlines that a generator suggests, The HOTH’s Free Title Generator is a valuable option.
The Free Title Generator allows users to enter:
- A keyword
- The desired outcome of your audience
- A common audience pain point
- The name of your industry
- The name of your target audience
The tool generates ten titles at a time. Some examples include:
- Little-Known Ways to Get Out Of Debt
- 13 Simple Ways to Get Out of Debt
- A Few Quick Tips to Help You Find the Best Financial Advisor Company
- 5 Actionable Financial Advisor Tips That Work Like a Charm
- 19 Financial Advisor Tactics That Will Help You Win in 2022
The tool uses the exact words you enter, which can lead to some awkward grammar in the headline.
Bonus tool: CoSchedule Headline Studio
The CoSchedule Headline Studio differs from the other options on this list. While it is not a generator, Headline Studio helps you measure the success of your headline.
Headline Studio evaluates how appealing your headline is to readers and how it compares with the competition. It measures:
- Power and emotional words
- Character count
Headline Studio then gives you an overall score and an SEO score. The tool also gives you suggestions to improve your headline. Although you should use your judgment, you should aim for scores of 70+.
Check out how one of the headlines from Jasper scored.
Write attention-grabbing headlines using Jasper
Jasper is an AI content platform that helps writers generate click-worthy headlines.
Whether you are a marketer, creator, or business owner,you are likely managing multiple priorities at once. With the Perfect Headline template, Jasper simplifies the brainstorming process, so you can create content in record time.
Want to make your next blog post stand out? Start a free trial of Jasper today.