“So much to do, so little time.” If writing is a big part of your job, you probably know that sentiment well.
It can take hours to write content, and it often takes longer now than it did 5 or 10 years ago. Orbit Media’s research shows that it takes an average of 4 hours and 10 minutes to write a typical blog post, which is a 74% increase from 2014.
But there is a way to spend less time on content while everyone else is spending more. And you’ll be relieved to know that it doesn’t involve settling for subpar content quality in favor of speed. The solution? Artificial intelligence (AI) and, specifically, AI writing assistants.
These assistants are trained on language models to mimic the way humans write. But they generate unique content and copy. As a result, you can use them to speed up your writing process, which is especially helpful if you create content at scale.
However, there are countless AI writing assistants out there. So, to help you zero in on the best one for you, we’ve categorized the 19 best tools. Let’s check them out.
The 3 most flexible AI writing assistants
First up, let’s look at a few of the most versatile AI writers. You use them to write a wide range of customized, high-quality content and copy in many languages.
First up is our AI writing assistant, Jasper. It has over 80,000 users and thousands of great reviews for good reason. It allows users to create high-quality, plagiarism-free content and copy up to 10 times faster. And that’s whether you’re looking to scale your content production efforts or you’d just like to free up time for other tasks.
The tool includes a wide range of templates and recipes for specific types of content and copy. Everything from blog posts and social media content to ads and product descriptions. However, there are also templates and the commands feature that give you the flexibility to write just about anything you want.
To illustrate, the AIDA and PAS Framework templates use famous copywriting frameworks meant to persuade readers. But they don’t only work for copy like sales pages or ads. You can just as easily use them for a blog post intro or social media caption. The same goes for many of the tools and features within Jasper. So, there’s almost no limit to what or how much you can write!
- 50+ templates for content and copy: Fill in the input fields and Jasper will give you several variations of content or copy to pick from.
- Workflows: Write blog post, emails, and other content from start to finish using bundles of relevant templates.
- Commands: Tell Jasper in plain language what to write to get more custom, nuanced outputs.
- Recipes: Create reusable recipes or use community recipes for any type of content or copy.
- Chrome extension: Jasper has the only AI writing chrome extension that allows you to give the AI custom commands.
- Unlike many AI tools that output gibberish, Jasper mirrors the way humans write and improves over time.
- Jasper can create content and copy in 26 languages and counting.
- Jasper integrates with Surfer, Grammarly, and Copyscape.
- We provide a variety of trainings like our free, intermediate SEO course to help you use Jasper better and improve your skills in general.
- There's a learning curve, although we do provide resources, such as Jasper Bootcamp and our YouTube channel.
- Jasper doesn’t have a free plan as some alternative tools do and it also doesn’t have an unlimited offer.
Pricing: Jasper offers a no-risk 5-day free trial. Jasper’s plans start at $29 per month for access to templates and $59 per month for access to Boss Mode features like recipes and commands.
ClosersCopy is another tool that’s known for its high-quality content and copy. Rather than leveraging GPT-3 or OpenAI like many AI writing tools do, it has created its own proprietary AI system.
- Frameworks: Access more than 700 pre-made fill-in templates for writing.
- Three AI models: BlogAI, SalesAI, and StoryAI so that the content and copy you produce is fine-tuned based on its type.
- SEO Audits and SEO Planner: Quickly outline and optimize content designed to rank in search.
- Use the ready-made Frameworks available or create your own for more flexibility.
- ClosersCopy can write in 128 languages, which is far more than many alternatives.
- ClosersCopy has built-in productivity features such as a thesaurus and various shortcuts.
- Before signup, ClosersCopy needs to be more transparent about product features, especially since there’s no free plan or trial.
- Because there are so many features, it can take time to find the fastest workflows.
Pricing: ClosersCopy has three pricing plans ranging from $49.99 to $99.99 per month. The company also offers lifetime deals.
Next is CopyAI, another popular AI writer that has over 4 million users now. It has 90 different tools for content writing, copywriting, and even brainstorming. While it can help with long-form writing too, this particular tool excels at short-form.
- Tools: Fill in the necessary details to generate product descriptions, ad copy, and more in a few clicks.
- Supercharge: Enter a URL to get an AI-generated project brief and generate unique copy based on it.
- A long-form editor: Piece together the outputs you like from CopyAI’s various tools to make a long-form piece.
- CopyAI writes well, which cuts down on time spent editing grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- You can access many of CopyAI’s tools via its Chrome extension for convenience.
- CopyAI has a free plan, which many alternatives don’t, and its Pro plan includes unlimited words.
- CopyAI isn’t the best at writing on nuanced topics.
- You can’t integrate CopyAI with other tools in your workflow.
Pricing: CopyAI has a free plan, a Pro plan that starts at $49 per month, and an enterprise plan with custom pricing.
The 4 most affordable AI writing tools
If you’re on a budget, here are some of the more affordable AI writing tools.
Rytr has made a name as one of the more affordable AI content creation tools. Used by more than 3 million marketers, writers, and entrepreneurs, it claims to have saved them millions of hours.
- Use cases: Create content using the 40+ templates or create custom use cases.
- Plagiarism checker: Ensure that everything the AI generates is unique.
- Chrome extension: Get writing help across Slack, WordPress, Google Docs, social media sites, and more.
- Rytr is easy to use so you can start saving time and seeing results from your content and copy faster.
- This tool is available and more than 30 languages and can also write in more than 20 different tones.
- Rytr now has AI image generation included in its plans at no additional cost.
- While it’s good for the price, some of Rytr’s outputs need significant editing.
- Although it has a long-form editor, Rytr is best for short-form content.
Pricing: Rtyr has a free plan, as well as paid plans for $9 and $29 respectively.
While it’s template-based, like many of the tools here, Chibi is flexible. There are several options for customizing the tools within Chibi to generate more custom outputs.
- Global Variable Templates: Keep terminology consistent by swapping out words across all documents at once.
- A word library: Nail word choice by choosing from a collection of power words, qualifiers, and so on.
- Per Document Notes: Make notes as you write without cluttering up your documents or having to use another tool.
- You can create custom templates and tailor them to your needs via Chibi’s Template Tuning Lab.
- Chibi doesn’t have content filters, so it’s a good option if you’re writing about more sensitive topics.
- Chibi isn’t just for writing at scale; it’s for writing genuine content that has your flair.
- Chibi doesn’t have pricing for teams or an add-on for additional users.
- You must sign in via Google, and there’s no other way to create an account.
Pricing: Chibi’s pricing ranges from $9 to $89 per month across four plans.
HyperWrite is a handy tool that you can use on almost any site, thanks to its Chrome extension. It can finish, expand, shorten, or change the tone of your sentences. It can rewrite and paraphrase content according to your instructions. Plus, HyperWrite can generate paintings, drawings, and other images based on the text you highlight.
- TypeAheads: Let the AI finish your sentences for you to save time.
- Chatbot: Ask the chatbot to help with brainstorming, research, writing, and more.
- Rewrite: Clarify or paraphrase existing content by letting HyperWrite rewrite it.
- In contrast to many alternatives that don’t help with research, this tool can pull accurate information.
- Many of HyperWrite’s 50+ templates are different from those in others tools (e.g. English to Legalese Translator, Generate Excel Formula, etc.).
- HyperWrite’s AI can be trained to provide more accurate suggestions the more you write with it.
- The free plan is extremely limited, allowing only five generations and rewrites each per month.
- Users have some issues with TypeAhead limits not resetting, extension conflicts, and so on.
Pricing: HyperWrite has a free plan, as well as two paid plans priced at $19.99 and $44.99 per month.
Simplified, unlike many of the tools on this list, is more than a tool for AI writing. It also has graphic design, video, animation, and social media planning tools. This makes it good for streamlining your larger content production process.
- Full Blog Writer: Generate an entire blog post draft in as little as two minutes.
- Free Flow Mode: Instead of using templates or other tools, tell the AI what to write.
- WordPress publishing: Skip the usual extra steps and publish content to your website from Simplified.
- This tool has more than 60 templates for content and copywriting, and it can write in over 25 languages.
- Simplified integrates with Grammarly, a plagiarism checker, and an SEO tool.
- All users alike get access to a premium members community.
- Although the paid plans are supposed to cater to the needs of different business sizes, they all have a five-user maximum.
- Users wish the free plan had a higher credit limit or that they could buy additional credits as needed.
Pricing: Simplified has a free plan and a paid plans ranging from $18 to $75 per month. There’s also custom enterprise or agency pricing available.
The top 2 SEO-focused AI writing assistants
Creating SEO content and copy? There are some assistants that can help with that.
If you’d like a primarily SEO-focused tool, you may like Frase. In addition to generating content in a few clicks, it has features for other parts of your SEO content workflow. It can help with content brief creation, content optimization, and even content analytics.
- “Write For Me”: Let the AI autocomplete your sentences or even generate new paragraphs to save time.
- Text editor: Compare your content to competitors’ and see what keywords you need to include.
- Content analytics: Connect Google Search Console to spot content refresh opportunities and identify keywords you’re not yet ranking for.
- Besides AI content generation, Frase helps marketers with several aspects of content marketing.
- You can create custom brief templates for different content types.
- Frase has Google Search Console and WordPress integrations, as well as a Chrome extension and Google Docs add-on.
- Frase is not the best when it comes to technical or niche topics.
- According to some users, the customer support team is sometimes slow to respond.
Pricing: Frase offers a 5-day trial for $1. It has three paid plans ranging from $14.99 to $114.99 per month, as well as an add-on for $35 per month.
Among the more SEO-focused AI assistants is GrowthBar. With it, you can do keyword research and competitor research to inform what you write. Then, the artificial intelligence can help you write the body of the text, create meta descriptions, and rewrite existing content.
- AI Blog Post Outline: Build outlines fast by dragging and dropping competitor headlines into the editor.
- Blog Idea Generator: Never struggle to come up with fresh ideas for blog content again.
- On-Page SEO Audit Tool: Enter a URL and keyword to get recommendations for improving your content.
- GrowthBar is solely for long-form writing, so the company's resources aren't divided between other features.
- The feature limits are fairly generous across all plans.
- For every new customer, GrowthBar plants a tree through its partner One Tree Planted.
- GrowthBar doesn’t have templates for different types of content like Jasper.
- The SEO features are fairly basic, so GrowthBar isn’t the best for executing heavy-duty SEO strategies.
Pricing: GrowthBar offers a free 5-day trial. Its Standard, Pro, and Agency plans cost $79, $139, and $249 respectively per month.
The 3 best AI writing assistants for bulk content generation
If you need to generate content such as product descriptions or metadata in bulk, these tools can help.
Looking for an agency, enterprise, or ecommerce solution? Copysmith may be a good option since it has features for creating content at scale.
- Bulk content generation: Upload a spreadsheet to get SEO product descriptions, ad copy, and more.
- Campaign Builder: Quickly create all the content and copy you need for entire campaigns.
- Chrome extension: Create subject lines, content variation for A/B tests, and more.
- Copysmith has bulk content generation features.
- You can get approvals from team members and clients faster with Copysmith’s team collaboration features.
- Copysmith integrates with tools you may already use, such as Google Ads, Shopify, and WooCommerce.
- Copysmith isn’t ideal for long-form content.
- Customer support is sometimes slow to respond to and resolve user concerns.
Pricing: Copysmith has a 7-day unlimited free trial. Beyond that, there are plans for $19 and $59 per month, as well as custom pricing for enterprises.
Next is Article Forge, which is designed to write long-form content. It also has a bulk content generation feature for creating unique, SEO-friendly content fast.
- Bulk Generator: Enter a list of keywords and secondary keywords to generate articles in batches.
- Replace Keywords With Links: Set Article Forge to automatically turn specific keywords into anchor text.
- Post Scheduler: Publish your AI-generated content to WordPress.
- This works for various niches including marketing, health, and finance.
- You can customize the length and structure of the articles.
- Article Forge has an API and integrates with SEO tools like SEO Autopilot and CyberSEO.
- Article Forge isn’t as fast as other tools like Jasper, especially for bulk content creation.
- The content quality in non-English languages is lacking.
Pricing: Article Forge offers a 5-day free trial. After that, pricing starts at $27 per month and increases based on how many words and users you need.
More than a million freelance writers, marketing teams, ecommerce stores, and entrepreneurs use Writesonic. This tool has more than 70 templates for writing, expanding, summarizing, and paraphrasing content and copy. Not to mention an AI article writer for long-form text generation.
- 1-Click WordPress Export: Publish your content faster to see results sooner.
- Landing page generator: Create ready-to-launch landing pages in minutes.
- Bulk processing: Create content in bulk to save time and accelerate results.
- You can opt for higher quality with a lower word count limit or lower quality with a higher word limit.
- Writesonic can generate content and copy in over 25 languages.
- Integrate Writesonic with Surfer, Semrush, WordPress, and others tools via Zapier.
- Writesonic’s outputs aren't as consistently high-quality as alternatives like Jasper.
- Users want more ways to make outputs specific to their brands such as the ability to specify a URL or brand name.
Pricing: You can use Writesonic free for your first 25,000 words. The company’s paid plans start at $19 per month.
2 AI writing assistants for articles only
If you only need assistance with article writing, these tools are worth looking into.
Next is Kafkai, an AI tool for writing SEO-friendly articles. You can input as little as a seed paragraph or headline to get full articles in no time. And, while you’ll definitely need to edit to make your mark on each piece, all of the generated content is unique.
- Regular Writer: Instantly generate an article on a niche-related topic of the AI’s choice.
- Experimental Writer: Provide a seed paragraph to generate content.
- Ratings: Train the AI by ratings the articles it gives you to improve future outputs.
- If you need to generate content in bulk, this is one of the fastest ways since so little user input is required.
- Kafkai’s secret sauce is that it’s trained on 38 niches but has the flexibility to write for others as well.
- There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee so trying this tool is risk-free.
- This tool has fewer features and options for guiding the AI than alternatives.
- Kafkai only supports seven languages, which is less than most similar tools.
Pricing: Kafkai offers a free 3-day trial, after which you’ll be paying anywhere from $29 to $199 per month.
When you’re short on time and need to crank out an article quickly, AI Writer can be helpful. It generates full articles in minutes based on as little as a headline.
- Subtopic Discoverer: Type in a topic to see relevant subtopics and generate articles for them.
- Source Audit Trail: Verify sources used in the content to make sure it's accurate.
- SEO-Focused Editor: See how well each article scores in terms of SEO and add in recommended keywords to improve the score.
- AI Writer pulls from and cites online research to ensure content quality and save you time.
- AI Writer shows estimated uniqueness percentages for each article.
- You can publish your fresh or rewritten content to WordPress directly from AI Writer.
- AI Writer’s articles don’t include header tags or formatting.
- This tool only writes in English.
Pricing: AIWriter has three plans, which are priced at $29, $59, and $375 per month.
Other AI writing tools to consider
Now for a handful of tools that are worth mentioning but that don’t fit into the categories above.
Anyword is a great tool for generating high-converting copy, although it also generates content. It uses predictive analytics to give you an idea of how well a piece of copy will convert.
- Real-time scoring and analytics: See how each tweak you make to your copy is likely to affect its performance.
- Score Optimization: Let Anyword rewrite existing copy to improve its predictive performance score.
- Custom Mode: Train the AI to write using your brand voice or to learn from your top-performing copy.
- Proprietary data informs the way Anyword's AI copywriting tools work, helping you get better results.
- Anyword allows you to create customer personas so that your copy is a fit for them.
- You can write content and copy in 30 languages with this tool.
- Not all of the copywriting tools have a performance score, which makes it hard to choose between variations of copy.
- Many users would like a free plan or a way to earn free credits.
Pricing: Anyword has two plans starting at $29 and $99 per month.
Writecream has templates for articles and blog, social media, SEO copy, and ad copy. But it also has tools for creating icebreakers marketers can use during outreach campaigns, for example.
- Long-Form Editor: Automatically add AI-generated content from templates into an editable long-form document.
- Create Your Own Tool: Make a template specific to your use case when no use-case specific tools are available.
- Plagiarism Checker: Plug in existing content to have it checked for uniqueness against billions of web pages.
- Writecream is available in more than 75 languages.
- You can earn up to 200,000 free credits, which could come in handy if you run out before your credits reset for the month.
- Writecream has browser extensions for Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera, as well as Android and iOS mobile app.
- Many users feel that the character limits are too low.
- Writecream’s user interface and UI copy could use some polish to feel more modern and sophisticated.
Pricing: Writecream has a free plan, as well as paid plans starting at $49 per month.
- 1-Click Article Generation: Create complete articles effortlessly and save yourself time.
- Use cases: Access 50+ templates for writing blog posts, social media content, video scripts, and business content.
- SEO Keyword Optimizer: Create content that has the potential to rank and drive organic traffic.
- Texta offers several industry-specific templates per content type (e.g. real estate blog, marketing blog, and arts and culture blog).
- Texta is available in 27 languages, so you can create content for global audiences.
- You can integrate Texta with Grammarly directly and with Zapier for use with more than 4,000 apps.
- Texta’s feature descriptions and user interface (UI) copy are vague, and there isn't much help documentation.
- The highest-tier plan only allows you to generate 100,000 words per month.
Pricing: Texta offers a 7-day free trial. Besides that, it has three paid plans for $25, $49, and $79 per month, respectively.
Need help writing more clearly and confidently? Wordtune can help with that, whether you use the Chrome extension or write within the Wordtune Editor. In either case, you’ll get personalized recommendations based on what you’ve written.
- Rewrite: Rephrase individual sentences or even full paragraphs in a couple of clicks.
- Shorten and Expand: Let the AI add on to what you’ve written or make it more concise.
- Casual and Formal Tones: Adjust the way your content is written so that it’s well-received by readers.
- Wordtune uses natural language processing to give suggestions based on the context and semantics of what you write.
- You can translate and rewrite simultaneously, which is great for non-native English speakers who want to sound more fluent.
- You can use Wordtune across Google Docs, Gmail, LinkedIn, Facebook, and many other sites.
- Users have had occasional problems with the Chrome extension not working.
- The free plan is very limited so, unless you write very little, you’ll have to upgrade.
Pricing: Wordtune has a free plan, a Premium plan for $24.99 per month, and a plan for teams with custom pricing.
Last up is Sassbook, which has a few different tools for AI writing. These include an AI story writer, a summarizer, and a headline generator. While it’s not as advanced as alternatives like Jasper, it can help you beat writer’s block nonetheless.
- Words Per Generation: Control how long the AI’s outputs are to get the content you need in fewer generations or with less manual editing.
- Creativity: Choose between Conservative, Inventive, or Balanced to generate more or less creative outputs.
- Continue: Instruct the AI to write more starting from the end of the generated content.
- You can try Sassbook’s tools free even before you create a free account to see if it will work for your needs.
- Sassbook allows you to rate the quality of each output and even provide written feedback.
- There are application programming interfaces (APIs) for the AI content generator and summarizer tools and all paid plans get complimentary API credits.
- The maximum number of words per generation is low even on the highest-tier plan.
- The user interface is rough around the edges and not as attractive as other tools.
Pricing: Sassbook has a free plan, as well as two paid plans priced at $39 and $59 per month.
Why embrace writing with AI
Writing assistant softwares help you in more ways than one. Whether you’re a content writer or writing is one of many responsibilities, the right tool can:
- Help you blast past writer’s block
- Consolidate and simplify various parts of the process like research, SEO optimization, and grammar checking
- Make your writing process faster without compromising content quality
Jasper, in particular, is a great AI marketing tool to have no matter what type of content or marketing copy you need to create. After all, you can choose between templates and several custom ways of instructing the AI. Plus, Surfer, Grammarly, and Copyscape are at your fingertips, thanks to the integrations.
Wanna get a little more technical? Try our FAQ schema markup generator.
If you haven’t already, sign up for your free trial. When you do, you’ll get 10,000 credits so you can see what Jasper’s capable of.