8 Modern Copywriting Tools You Should Try
When writer’s block hits, even the most seasoned copywriter can find themself staring at a blank page, feeling like they’re trying to squeeze syrup out of a hunk of granite. And when projects are stacking up and deadlines are looming, getting the words to start flowing can be a daunting task.
A 2019 study from the University of North Florida found that 94% of writers have experienced writer’s block at some point in their careers. (And if you want our non-scientific opinion, the remaining 6% were just too proud to admit it.) Fortunately, copywriters in the digital age have access to many useful tools to bust through creative blocks, stay organized, and ultimately create more effective copy for blogs, ads, social media posts, and many other platforms.
Whether you’re an in-house or freelance copywriter looking to scale your productivity or an entrepreneur who wears all the hats, these eight copywriting tools are some of our favorites for modern creators.
8 Best copywriting tools for the modern creator
Jasper is a powerful AI writing assistant that helps copywriters, marketers, and entrepreneurs create polished, compelling copy in significantly less time than starting from scratch. It includes over 50 templates for different types of writing projects. The AI content generators for each template are trained using proven examples and industry-acknowledged best practices.
From product descriptions and social media captions to blog outlines and full-length articles, Jasper delivers professional copy that matches your brand identity in just a few clicks. All you have to do is select a template and input some simple directions regarding the subject matter and tone of voice, and Jasper will handle the rest.
While the Starter version makes an excellent research assistant and brainstorming buddy, upgrading to Jasper’s Boss Mode unlocks long-form content generation and more detailed AI inputs. You can also create just about any kind of content with open-ended commands—type whatever you need Jasper’s help with into a Google Docs–style interface, and you’ll get results within seconds.
AI-generated content has been a hotly debated topic lately, and it’s important for copywriters and other creators to remember that AI is just another tool in their arsenal.
During the journey from initial idea to final draft, AI content generators like Jasper are incredibly useful for overcoming creative blocks and gathering lots of ideas to be tweaked or polished as necessary.
- AI-powered content generation: Jasper’s AI writing assistant instantly creates content and improves existing copy.
- Writing templates: It includes 50-plus AI templates for various writing needs, each trained using best practices.
- Adjustable voice and tone: The tone-of-voice input ensures a match with your established brand voice.
- Jasper is a massive timesaver when creating any type of written content.
- AI content generators quickly spit out ideas to spark additional creativity.
- All versions include access to all 50+ templates.
- Jasper’s most powerful features require Boss Mode or Business plans.
- The free version is limited to a 10,000-word trial.
Pricing: Jasper offers a free five-day trial, with pricing for monthly plans depending on how much content you need to generate. To get the most out of Jasper, you’ll want to spring for a Boss Mode plan, which starts at $59 per month for up to 50,000 words. If you have more than five users, a customized Business plan will be your best bet.
2. Hemingway App
Hemingway App is an online editor that helps anyone write more direct and digestible copy. You can type straight into the app for real-time feedback, or copy and paste from wherever you prefer to write. Hemingway points out lengthy sentences and passive voice, and offers simpler alternatives for complex words that could confuse your audience.
While its readability recommendations are disproportionately focused on sentence length, Hemingway is a great tool for identifying sections that could use another look. Its primary strength is identifying adverbs and qualifiers that water down your writing and make it less confident and convincing.
- Insights into your writing: The Hemingway App provides feedback on readability, grade level, and overall clarity.
- Tightens up prose: A simple interface color-codes sentences in real time, based on perceived readability.
- Write confident-sounding copy: Hemingway points out adverbs and passive voice that make your writing less authoritative.
- Hemingway App offers suggestions that encourage concise, easily readable copy.
- It includes simple HTML formatting tools for crafting blog posts and web copy.
- The online version is always free to use.
- Some recommendations may not be relevant, depending on context.
- You can only use it via desktop or browser—there’s no mobile version.
Pricing: The Hemingway App is totally free to use online. You can also purchase a desktop version that allows offline use for $19.99.
3. Help a B2B Writer
When an article or blog post calls for it, many modern content marketers like to include third-party quotes in their writing. Outside perspectives can create a more convincing case. Help a B2B Writer connects copywriters with expert sources across dozens of different industries, from SaaS and social media to finance and engineering.
Sources register based on their areas of expertise, and writers submit requests via a simple online form that describes the topic, the ideal source, and even the deadline. Writers get unique quotes for their article, and sources get valuable backlinks to their own sites—a true win-win for both parties.
- Connect with industry experts: Writers easily can get in touch with subject matter experts from many fields.
- User-friendly interface: A simple online form makes it easy to request quotes.
- Willing sources: Because potential sources only receive emails if they’re a match, they haven’t been overwhelmed by scores of irrelevant inquiries.
- Writers get to spend their time writing, rather than spending hours sourcing quotes.
- Both writers and the sources they contact benefit from using this free service.
- All parties have opportunities to grow their network of contacts and collaborators.
- Some industries and topics have fewer sources than others.
- Gathering responses takes a few days, so it isn’t ideal for rush projects or tight deadlines.
Pricing: Help a B2B Writer is a totally free service, and a valuable asset for any business copywriter.
Whether tapping away at a keyboard or scribbling away in a notebook, writers tend to take a lot of notes. Evernote keeps them all organized, searchable, and centralized, so you can always find the information you’re looking for rather than searching through files or flipping through hand-written pages.
From conducting interviews to scanning sticky notes after a brainstorming session, Evernote is a useful tool for copywriters or anyone else who likes to take thorough notes and refer back to them later. You can create separate notebooks by client, project, or any other category, with search features and keyword tags that make it easy to track down whatever you need.
- Centralizes important information: Evernote organizes your notes, clips, and to-do lists all in one place.
- Universal access: Content syncs across all your devices, no matter where it originated.
- Bridges the digital divide: You can easily scan and store documents, receipts, hand-written notes, and more.
- For people who take tons of notes, Evernote keeps important information easy to find.
- You can save and mark up URLs, screen captures, and articles—anything that inspires you.
- Evernote’s free version only allows syncing your information between 2 devices.
- Options for sharing and exporting your content are somewhat limited.
Pricing: Evernote’s free version is a fantastic product for people who need simple note-taking functions and don’t mind device and data limits. Paid plans start at $8.99 per month for the Personal plan, or $10.99 per month for the Professional plan with higher data caps and additional integration features.
From cover letters and emails to articles and blog posts, Grammarly tightens up any form of written communication. It provides actionable feedback on essentials like spelling and grammar, but also on factors like tone and word choice. Grammarly finds places to make your writing more clear and concise and offers insights into how your message is likely to be interpreted by others.
In addition to helping users create more polished and powerful writing, one of Grammarly’s greatest strengths is its near-ubiquitous accessibility. You can use it on your desktop, as a mobile app, or even as a browser extension that makes suggestions while using platforms like Google Docs or LinkedIn.
- Write cleaner copy: Grammarly catches typos, punctuation errors, and commonly misused words
- Avoid misunderstandings: In addition to spotting grammar issues, Grammarly also analyzes writing tone to help prevent miscommunications.
- Save messy sentences: The Premium version enables full-sentence rewrites—useful for when you need help clearly articulating a complex point.
- Grammarly helps anyone deliver convincing, mistake-free copy.
- Paid subscriptions plans offer suggestions on tone and advice on using inclusive language.
- You can use Grammarly via desktop, mobile app, or browser extensions.
- Occasionally, Grammarly flags “false positives” in well-written copy.
- Without additional review, some grammar mistakes may still slip through the cracks.
Pricing: The free version of Grammarly is an excellent copywriting tool, despite lacking some of the advanced features included in paid plans. Premium and Business plans go for $12 per month and $15 per member per month, respectively.
6. Toggl Track
Whether copywriting is a side hustle or your main source of income, reliable time-tracking tools are essential for freelance writers. Toggl Track logs how much time you’re spending on each of your copywriting projects, so you can plan out your workload, measure each project’s profitability, and deliver more accurate estimates and invoices.
To organize time entries, Toggl users can sort projects by team, client, or workspace, in addition to adding searchable descriptions or tags. A simple calendar interface shows your logged hours by day or week, and a separate reporting tab lets you view past entries with customizable filters and date ranges.
- Easy to use: Toggl tracks time for any project or client in just a few clicks or thumb taps.
- Highly cross-compatible: The platform easily integrates with 100-plus popular tools, apps, and extensions.
- Pomodoro mode: Enjoy more focused work sessions with built-in 25-minute timers.
- Toggl is an excellent free time-tracking option for freelancers with uncomplicated needs.
- All versions allow tracking unlimited time, projects, and clients.
- Easily exportable reports simplify your invoicing and time audits.
- The simple interface can be outmatched when it comes to managing budgets or timelines.
- Paid plans are required for organizations with more than 5 users.
Pricing: The free version of Toggl is excellent for freelancers or small teams, while larger content agencies may consider Starter or Premium monthly plans, which range from $10 to $20 per user.
A versatile alternative to other AI content editors, ProWritingAid has won over many copywriters due to its unique features and helpful suggestions. Besides the standard spelling, punctuation, and style corrections, ProWritingAid offers cliche alerts, pacing suggestions, and even recommends replacements for overused business jargon.
ProWritingAid also includes features specifically for multilingual copywriters, with clear explanations for the many rule exceptions that can trip up non-native English speakers.
- Real-time feedback: ProWritingAid offers instant suggestions to make writing more clear, confident, and polished.
- Write more human copy: The platform detects jargon and buzzwords in business writing, and offers more palatable suggestions.
- Adapts to your style: Customizable writing suggestions and make it easy to incorporate trade names and brand guidelines
- ProWritingAid checks readability by paragraph, instead of just by sentence.
- It also offers deeper stylistic insights than some other AI editors.
- Built-in tools simplify terminology and citation management for research-heavy writing.
- The free version limits you to a maximum input of 500 words at a time.
- Using the free version requires an active online connection.
Pricing: While the free version of ProWritingAid can only tackle 500 words at a time, it’s still a fantastic resource for any copywriter. Upgrading to the Premium version unlocks unlimited word counts and more advanced style improvements for just $30 per user per month (or $10 per month if paid annually).
When you’re juggling several different clients, projects, and assignments, prioritization and planning start to eat up time you should be spending on actual copywriting. Todoist touts itself as the world’s number one app for task management and to-do lists. It’s an incredibly useful tool for writers looking to get organized and declutter their brains.
Whether you prefer a simple task list or a Kanban-style view, you can create tasks and assign deadlines and priority levels. Todoist surfaces the right tasks at the right time, so you can stay focused, avoid becoming overwhelmed, and increase your productivity. It’s excellent for writing projects as well as setting self-care reminders throughout your day. Speaking of which, when was the last time you drank some water?
- Streamlined interface: Todoist makes it simple to create and prioritize tasks in just a few clicks.
- Highly customizable: Users can easily adjust filters and priority settings to match their preferred workflow.
- Add context: Comments and file uploads keep important information centralized alongside your task list.
- Todoist works however you do—it’s usable via browser, desktop, smartwatch, mobile app, or email.
- It also plays nice with other platforms, and integrates with more than 70 other software tools and apps.
- The free version of Todoist is limited to 5 projects and 5 users per project.
- You’ll have to upgrade to the Pro version to unlock the useful Task Reminder feature.
The free version of Todoist is somewhat stripped down, and limits you to five active projects. Monthly plans start at just $5 per user, and include significant upgrades to filters, file sizes, and the total number of projects and collaborators.
Take your copywriting to the next level with Jasper
We’ve come a long way since the days of manual typewriters, paper correction strips, and hand-written edits. Modern writers are spoiled for choice when it comes to tools that make their jobs easier and their writing stronger.
AI content platforms like Jasper will be a huge part of the future for professional copywriters, whether they’re used for brainstorming, research, or full-length writing.
If you’re looking to give your copywriting skills a boost, check out Jasper’s website copywriting course. We cover how to write more attention-grabbing headlines, tips on developing unique value propositions, and some important SEO tips and tricks to optimize your copy and convert more leads.
The course is totally free once you’ve created a Jasper account. Sign up today to stay on the cutting edge of copywriting, so you can create better content in less time.