When it comes to content and SEO strategy, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. And in today’s competitive marketing environment, companies are looking for innovative ways to optimize their content.
The number of content platforms—like MarketMuse—that automate content optimization is on the rise. These tools use AI to improve readability and boost search engine visibility. Here we’ll review the top 8 MarketMuse alternatives for 2023.
Why consider an alternative to MarketMuse?
MarketMuse is a content marketing platform focused on “the intersection of AI, SEO, and content strategy.” With keyword and topic research tools, MarketMuse helps marketers organize and refine their approach to content creation.
Powered by AI, MarketMuse makes it easy to generate SEO-optimized content briefs. And the platform’s Editor function offers personalized suggestions to improve content.
But MarketMuse can be expensive—especially for small business owners and freelancers. (The Standard Plan starts at $149 per month.) The user interface also has a steeper learning curve than other platforms.
The top 8 MarketMuse alternatives
Today, marketers have many options for tools to support SEO and content strategy. Here are 8 MarketMuse alternatives to get you started.
1. Jasper + Surfer
Jasper is an AI writing generator that eliminates writer’s block and speeds up content creation. Surfer is an SEO tool designed to boost organic traffic and improve search engine result page (SERP) rankings.
Together, Jasper and Surfer help writers create quality content that ranks.
- Jasper Chat: Communicate with the AI to ensure your message will resonate with your target audience.
- Surfer integration: Surfer suggests keywords, outlines, headings, and a content score to make your content SEO-friendly.
- Jasper Art: Create compelling imagery to complement your content in seconds with Jasper’s art generator.
- Jasper can read and write in over 29 languages.
- With over 50 templates, it’s easy to create content of any type.
- With Grammarly and Copyscape integrations, users ensure content is original and error-free.
- Jasper acts as a writing assistant. Users will need to refine outputs and fact-check data.
Pricing: The Boss Mode plan starts at $99 per month. The Business plan starts at $499 per month. Users can get started with a five-day free trial with 10,000 credits.
Surfer is $59 per month. Jasper users receive Surfer for $1 for the first month.
Frase is a content marketing platform designed for SEOs and marketers. Its AI-powered SEO workflow helps companies create content that outperforms the competition.
- Content briefs: Users generate SEO-optimized content briefs in seconds.
- Content writing: Speed up the content creation process with AI.
- Content scoring: Provides real-time feedback to writers with suggested keywords and readability scores.
- Share briefs and documents with your writers with one click.
- Writers can update the status when assignments are complete.
- Frase integrates with Google Search Console for access to more data.
- Frase does not offer all-in-one SEO services. The platform doesn’t have a keyword research function. It also does not score headlines or meta-descriptions.
- Pricing plans can be confusing.
Pricing: The Solo plan is $14.99 monthly for one seat and four articles. The Basic plan is $44.99 per month for one seat and 30 articles. The Team plan is $114.99 monthly for three seats and unlimited articles. The Pro Add-on is $35 per month. There is a 5-day free trial available.
GrowthBar is an SEO marketing platform that helps marketers plan, write, and refine content for SERPs.
- AI generator: Create SEO-optimized outlines and blog posts in half the time.
- On-page SEO audit: The tool provides step-by-step instructions to make content more SEO-friendly.
- Competitor research: Discover keywords (paid and organic) and backlinks that competitors use to improve your visibility.
- The platform provides SEO-optimized titles and introduction paragraphs in its outlines.
- The tool makes it easy to collaborate with your colleagues and contractors.
- Prospective customers can try GrowthBar’s AI tools for free.
- Users should review, fact-check, and refine AI content before publication.
Pricing: The standard plan is $45 per month and includes 25 AI outlines and monthly audits. The Pro plan is $99 monthly and includes 100 AI content audits and outlines. The Agency plan is $199 per month and includes 300 AI content audits and outlines.
4. Content Harmony
Source: Content Harmony
Content Harmony powers the content creation process and enhances content for SEO.
- Keyword research: Users receive a comprehensive keyword report with search intent and rank difficulty.
- Content Grader: Receive real-time feedback and suggestions to improve readability and optimize your draft for SEO.
- Visual content analysis: Receive imagery and video content suggestions to boost audience engagement.
- The question database lets you plan content based on your target audience’s most frequently asked questions.
- The platform makes collaborating with clients, contractors, and colleagues easy.
- All plans include unlimited users. Granular pricing models allow companies to customize plans for their needs.
- The tool is new, so the company is still building features.
- Users cannot customize content brief templates.
Pricing: The Standard plan is $99 per month for 12 content briefs. The Pro plan is $299 per month for 50 content briefs. The Enterprise plan starts at $1,000 per month for 200+ content briefs.
Dashword is a content marketing and SEO platform that helps marketers generate relevant content and increase visibility.
- Brief Builder: Gathers all the information you need to create an SEO-optimized content brief.
- Content optimization: Writers receive real-time feedback with suggestions for keywords and content scoring.
- Content monitoring: Track content performance after publication and identify underperforming pieces.
- Users can share briefs with colleagues and contractors with one click.
- The tool makes it easy to automate and share keyword reports.
- The platform helps refine your content strategy by pulling frequently asked questions from your audience.
- Dashword is new. The company is still adding features.
Pricing: The Startup plan is $99 per month for five users and 20 monthly content reports. The Enterprise plan starts at $699 monthly for 20 users and 100 content reports.
Semrush is an online visibility management software. The platform has over 55 products for managing SEO and content strategy.
- Topic and keyword research: Discover what’s trending with customers and identify content gaps in your strategy.
- SEO Content Template: Generate SEO-friendly content briefs in seconds.
- Content optimization: The editor provides writers real-time feedback about readability and tone.
- Add-ons make it easy to use Semrush in Google Docs, WordPress, or MS Word 365
- The writing assistant reviews content to ensure it matches the brief.
- Robust reporting and analytics features allow you to measure and track the performance of your content.
- With so many features, Semrush has a steeper learning curve than other platforms.
- Pricing can be expensive for small businesses or freelancers.
Pricing: The Pro plan is $199.95 per month for five projects and 500 keywords. The Guru plan is $229.95 per month for 15 projects and 1,500 keywords. The Business plan is $449.95 per month for 40 projects and 5,000 keywords.
Clearscope is an all-in-one content and SEO platform. Powered by AI, Clearscope helps marketers generate content that is relevant to their audience.
- Text Editor: Writers receive a content grade and readability score with suggestions for improvement.
- Content briefs: Users build SEO-optimized content briefs and outlines in seconds.
- Keyword Discovery: Fine-tune your content strategy with comprehensive keyword research tools.
- Clearscope makes it easy to share briefs and collaborate with clients and contractors.
- Plans are flexible. No contracts are required.
- Every customer receives free onboarding and training.
- The platform has limited tools for competitor analysis.
- Pricing can be high for small businesses or freelancers.
Pricing: The Essentials plan is $170 monthly for one user and ten content reports. Pricing is unavailable for the Business plan (five users) and Enterprise plan (unlimited users).
WriterZen is an SEO content workflow software that helps build authority and visibility.
- Topic Discovery: Find and organize topics to create a robust website architecture.
- Keyword Explorer: WriterZen’s proprietary algorithm generates keyword lists and classifies keywords by search intent.
- Content Generator: Users create briefs, outlines, and long-form content in seconds with AI.
- The editor provides live suggestions, content scoring, and a note-tracking feature to help improve your content.
- The built-in plagiarism checker ensures content is original.
- The platform offers tips for internal linking to help you create pillar pages.
- The user interface is not as intuitive as other platforms.
- Pricing plans can be confusing.
Pricing: The Basic plan is $39 per month for 25,000 keyword credits. The Standard plan is $59 per month with 40,000 keyword credits. The Advanced plan is $99 per month with 100,000 keywords.
Create and scale SEO-optimized content with Jasper
With content marketing and SEO best practices changing, organizations need tools to save time and make content stand out. While there are several tools that simplify content creation, Jasper unlocks your creativity with the power of AI.
Jasper is an AI writing tool that helps marketers, writers, and entrepreneurs produce quality content ten times faster. With over 50 templates, there is no limit to the types of content you can create. And users ensure content is SEO-optimized with Jasper’s Surfer integration.
Sign up for a free trial today to see how Jasper and Surfer boost SEO and content strategy.